Oh, hello summer! I can’t believe you’re finally here!
Okay, so I don’t just do all fitness all the time (I’d have a 6 pack and killer traps if I did). I love doing all types of activities during the summer, and most of them are outdoors. My summers have been a mixed bag the last decade or so. No summer is the same, which is just fine by me! I love mixing things up in general, but the summer seems like an apt time to try something new.
- Travel – I love traveling! My dream job would have me traveling all over the world and writing about it. Honestly! Each year, I try to visit some place new, even if it’s somewhere local. This summer, I’ll be visiting LA for BlogFest, and afterwards will be visiting Arizona for the first time ever! I’ll be traveling to Arizona with my boyfriend, and we’ll travel to Phoenix, Sedona, and Flagstaff. I am so excited! Let me know if you have any Arizona-related suggestions!
- Outdoor Volleyball – Why did I say outdoor instead of beach? Well, we have these things in Maryland called grass volleyball tournaments (they exist all over the country, really), and I try to get at least one in before the summer is over. Grass and sand volleyball are definitely more physically challenging than indoor volleyball, in my opinion. Normally, you play with just one other person, and the uneven surface definitely puts your muscles to work! I only had the opportunity to play in a couple last year, so I hope to play in at least as many grass tournaments this year.
- Sun Bathing and Reading – I love visiting the beach, but not because I love swimming or kayaking. I love laying in the sun, reading a good book, listening to music, and eventually just straight up getting my nap on! Of course I load up with sunblock and water, and sometimes will lay under an umbrella, but it really takes me to a zen place.
- Running – Well, duh. I think the summer might be my favorite time of year for running. I don’t have to worry about it getting dark outside right after work, I don’t have to wear 800 layers (which means I’ll inevitably forget something), and I love being able to run a couple of races with friends (they don’t want to run with me in the winter, because obviously winter running is for crazy people!).
- Family Time – It seems that we have all sorts of family functions in the summer, and I absolutely LOVE spending time with my family. It’s definitely one of my favorite things in the entire world! Last year, we had an amazing time in Annapolis on a private beach in my cousin’s neighborhood. I tried Stand-Up Paddleboarding (SUP) and kayaking for the very first time, and we ate loads of crabs and other yummy food throughout the afternoon. It was great! We’re going to do it again this year, it looks like, so I can’t wait! My parents invited us all to travel with them down to Nags Head in the Outer Banks for our annual family trip, and I’m excited to see which location they pick this year!